Getting your chimney inspected routinely is important for many reasons including the safety of life and property. Some good reasons to get your fireplace and chimney checked by an experienced chimney sweep periodically include:
- Safety: This is always paramount and an unkempt fireplace can prove to be both a fire hazard and a health hazard. An inspection of your chimney will show if there is any build-up creosote which can cause a fire in the fireplace to get out of control with potential dangers to life and property.
- Extend the life of the chimney: If you monitor your chimney, it is easier to fix any problems such as minor cracks or replace a damaged or missing cap before they become major. These minor repairs will help to extend the life of the chimney and fireplace.
- To identify potential problems: Inspections and regular maintenance means that minor problems will be identified and sorted out before they become more expensive to repair. In some cases, chimneys that have been allowed to go long periods without proper maintenance may need to be replaced, which can be a costly venture.
- To protect the monetary value of your home: Whether you plan to sell your house or not, having a properly working chimney is important. The value of your home can fall if a valuation is done and the fireplace and chimney are found to be defective. This can have financial repercussions if you are having a home inspection because you are selling the house or seeking a mortgage.
- Getting rid of unpleasant smells: If not properly maintained, a well-used chimney will leave the smell of smoke and wood lingering in your home. This odor can easily get into your furniture and clothing which can be an unpleasant situation. An inspection can reveal if the smoke is not venting properly through the flute due to a blockage caused by soot or other chemicals and residues such as creosote.
- Peace of mind for your family: Your family will be comfortable knowing that the chimney is being properly maintained. This is one of those benefits of a routine inspection that you can never overlook.
With regular maintenance, you are able to monitor any change o the chimney, fireplace and related structure which are always important. Tal to your chimney sweep to schedule your inspection now, the time is never too early to start caring for your chimney and fireplace.
We perform all types of chimney inspections, cleanings, and minor repairs here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service. Our Chimney Sweeps are CSIA Certified and participate in continued education programs throughout the year. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to discuss any chimney problems you may be experiencing or to schedule an appointment for a consultation, inspection, or cleaning.