In many homes, individuals make it a point to call the chimney sweep for their annual chimney sweeping and inspection. No one wants to be forced to deal with the risk of a chimney fire, but you should know that the dryer can also be dangerous. Thousands of house fires each years are caused by clogged dryer vents. Since dryer use increases in the winter period, it is a good idea to get your vents checked when you schedule a chimney inspection.
Keeping the Dryer Functioning
While inspection and cleaning by a professional are important, there is much you can do to ensure that the dryer is safe to use.
- Empty the lint filter after each load of laundry, and check it whenever you are going to use the dryer to make sure that it is clear.
- Check your vents for damage or twisting as it is easy for lint to get caught in the areas and accumulate.
- Make sure that the damper opens when you are using the dryer to allow the heat to escape.
- Replace old vents with modern non-ribbed metal ducts, as lint can get caught in the ribbing. These types are also stronger, and less likely to collapse.
- Never leave the dryer running if you will be away from home. You should always be able to monitor the appliance when it is in use.
- Do not overload the dryer and always make sure that the lint filter is in place.
- If clothes are soaked in some type of chemical or flammable substance, wash them before putting them into the dryer.
- The area around the dryer should always be clear.
- If the dryer starts to run hot during a cycle, stop using it and call a professional to check the vents.
- Use a vacuum occasionally to do a basic vent cleaning job. Even if you do this regularly, this does not mean that you should not call a technician to clean them properly.
The best chimney cleaning companies usually have vent cleaning specialists on staff. Taking the necessary steps towards proper dryer maintenance will help to protect against a house fire. You should give the same amount of attention to your dryer that you give to the protection of your chimney. This will also help to extend the life of your dryer, so you can save money on repairs or a replacement.
Fireplace Safety and Chimney Inspections in Drexel Hill
We have two CSIA Certified chimney sweeps standing by to assist you with your chimney needs. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment for a chimney inspection or cleaning. We provide chimney services throughout the Main Line region.