People often look surprised when I tell them that summer is the best season to schedule a chimney inspection. I actually have good reason for that recommendation and part of it boils down to scheduling conflicts. It becomes very difficult to schedule everyone along the Main Line during September or October. The summer months are usually somewhat slow, so you probably won’t have to wait several weeks for an appointment. Here are a few other reasons to schedule your chimney inspection and cleaning early:
- Chimney Cleaning: We can usually schedule a full inspection and cleaning more easily in the summer months. You should have the chimney inspected at least once a year whether it is used or not. The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that the chimney be cleaned once a year if it is used rarely, twice a year if it is used occasionally, and more often if it is used more often.
- Chimney Repair: Mortar cures best in warm weather, so chimney repairs go more smoothly and cure more easily during the summer. Chimney repair jobs such as tuckpointing or mortar replacement should be done during the summer months. Brick replacement should also be performed during the summer.
- Chimney Waterproofing: We’re no strangers to evening summer thunderstorms here in the Drexel Hill area. We can apply the waterproofing agent to your chimney on a nice day so that you can watch it work through the rest of the summer.
- Critter Removal: The chimney is a warm, dry place for small animals to escape capture from birds of prey and a great spot for raccoons or birds to nest. We will work to remove creatures safely from the chimney so they don’t become an issue during the fall and winter.
- Replacement of the Cap, Crown, or Flashing: The chimney cap, crown, and flashing take elemental damage on a daily basis. You may not realize how damaging the sun’s UV rays can be, but your chimney and all of its elements are subjected to the damage daily. They may need to be replaced every 5 to 7 years. Summer is the best time to replace them because it gives you time to make sure they’re working as intended before harsh weather hits.
The chimney sweeps here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service are CSIA Certified and we have years of experience under our belts. We strive to continue our education as often as possible so we’re always in the position to offer you the best possible chimney services in Drexel Hill and all along the Main Line. Call us at 610-626-2439 to discuss your chimney needs or to schedule an appointment for a chimney cleaning, chimney inspection, or chimney repair.