Fireplaces come in various sizes and styles, but they all need proper maintenance. One aspect of this that homeowners sometimes overlook is the quality of the inserts. An old one can affect the performance of the fireplace. An insert is like a box, with cast iron or steel around it. The insulated glass at the front makes it a closed system, which prevents heat loss. Some types have blowers which send heat into the room
- Cleaner operation. The inserts being made today are EPA certified, and they burn more cleanly than older types. In the past, inserts would often release harmful particles into the air when the fireplace is in use. This is particularly dangerous for people who have respiratory conditions. Changing your insert will help to protect you and your family by helping to keep the air clean.
- Boosting efficiency. Like other fireplace and chimney components, inserts play a role in the efficiency of the system. The production of fireplace inserts focus on making them more efficient. Regulations by the EPA have been a big factor in this. New types do a better job of venting heat into the home, and preventing heat loss when the fireplace is not being used. Older fireplace inserts sometimes had the problem of causing heat to escape through the chimney.
- Updating your fireplace. Adding a new insert is a good way to give your fireplace a visual lift. An old insert can detract from the look of your home’s interior. You will find different styles available, so getting one that fits your décor will not be difficult.
- Quicker fires. One big advantage of newer inserts is that it takes less time to get a fire started. New inserts means less time preparing to start a fire. With electronic or gas types, you can start a fire with the push of a button.
- Less attention necessary. Thanks to new inserts, you do not have to spend a lot of time maintaining the fire once it has started. This is especially true for gas inserts, since the fire will burn as long as there is fuel, until you turn it off. It is possible to connect some gas inserts to a thermostat. This will assist in maintaining the home’s interior temperature.
If you have an old fireplace, you will need to be sure that it will work as efficiently as it should. Curling up in front of a fire will be much more relaxing when you know that you don’t have to worry about air contamination or heat loss. Give us a call here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service at 610-626-2439 if you would like to schedule an appointment with our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps.