You may think that mold can only grow in old abandoned buildings that are not maintained or cleaned. However, that could not be further from the truth. In fact, did you know that you could have mold growing in your chimney right now and you might not even be aware of it? It’s true!
The only thing that mold requires to grow is moisture and your chimney is one of the best places for moisture to build inside your home. Here are a few ways that moisture can build up inside your chimney:
- Poor ventilation – If the ventilation inside your chimney is bad, condensation will build up and create a space that will encourage mold growth
- Broken chimney crown – A broken chimney crown will allow water to seep into your chimney and create a moisture-filled environment
- Brick and mortar that isn’t waterproofed – Water can seep through brick and mortar that isn’t waterproofed
- Chimney cap failure – Water and moisture can enter through a faulty chimney cap
- Risks of Mold
- Health Hazard – You can have anything from coughing, sneezing, headaches, sore throat, asthma attacks, and pneumonia
- Damage to Your Home – The damage begins as unsightly damage, but then it turns into weakened spots on the walls and ceiling that can then collapse
- Unpleasant Odors – The odor is not as bad as the health hazards and damage, but if you leave it for too long, you will never be able to remove it
Removing mold is not a do it yourself job, plus it is too dangerous, as you should wear a mask as the mold is being removed. Once the mold is gone, you will want to have the issues that caused the mold repaired, so that it does not happen again.
A chimney professional can help you with both the mold removal in your chimney and the repairs. You will want to make sure that you choose one that is certified to do the work, so that it is done properly the first time. Mold is not something that you want to mess around with, and you can prevent it from happening again in the future by having your chimney cleaned and inspected once a year.
Fireplace Safety and Chimney Inspections in Drexel Hill
We have two CSIA Certified chimney sweeps standing by to assist you with your chimney needs. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment for a chimney inspection or cleaning. We provide chimney services throughout the Main Line region.