Scams are common across all industries and the chimney business is no different. We hear about scammers year after year, so we always try to spread the word through our blog and social media at least a few times a year.
- No Solicitors! Chimney professionals do not go door to door to drum up business; that’s the first sign of unscrupulous business practices. We have plenty of work lined up already, and unless something serious is wrong with your chimney, we can’t usually spot flue damage from the curb.
- Professional Branding. Anyone can put a magnetic sticker on the truck and call themselves a chimney sweep. Chimney sweeps should be identifiable by their vehicle and wear clothing branded with the name of the company. Ask for their business credentials if you don’t see any professional branding on the truck or their clothing.
- Verifiable Business. A business should be registered with the state and have a business license to prove it. Request a copy of their business license.
- Verifiable Certification. We attend continued education classes and seminars every year. We’re very proud of the certifications we have earned throughout the years, and we don’t mind showing them. The primary certification you need to ask about is earned through the Chimney Safety Institute of America, or the CSIA. This certificate ensures that we work within the rules set forth by the CSIA and that we pay our dues and attend continued education classes that keep us up to date on chimney issues.
- Verifiable Insurance. Anyone who works on or in your home should carry their own insurance. Your homeowner’s insurance policy is not the place for coverage for a chimney sweep or any other tradesman who provides a service.
- Verifiable References. This person will be climbing onto your roof and maybe even entering your home at some point. You need to thoroughly vet them to make sure they can be trusted. Request references and call those references.
- Reasonable Quote. The amount of money quoted for a chimney cleaning and inspection shouldn’t cause fear in the hearts of men and women alike. We don’t give our services away at the drop of a hat, but you shouldn’t be paying thousands of dollars unless your chimney is seriously damaged.
Fireplace Safety and Chimney Inspections in Glenolden
We have two CSIA Certified chimney sweeps standing by to assist you with your chimney needs. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment for a chimney inspection or cleaning. We provide chimney services throughout the Main Line region.