Your fireplace will give you a cozy place to sit and relax with family and friends over the colder months. In order to get the most out of your fireplace though, you will want to know how to properly maintain it.
Here are 6 ways to maintain your fireplace:
- Either at the end of winter or before winter begins is the best time to have your chimney inspected. This will allow you to know that your fireplace and chimney are in good working order for the winter season and that you can use your fireplace without any problems.
- You will need to make sure that the chimney cap is in place to make sure that animals and other objects stay out of the chimney. A professional will check the chimney cap as they are performing an inspection. It is a good idea to check it periodically throughout the season to ensure that it hasn’t been broken.
- Every time you light a fire, you will want to make sure that the damper opens properly before the fire is lit. Once the fire has gone out, you will want to close the damper to ensure that no cold air is getting into the house. If you notice that the damper is not opening or closing properly, then it is time to call a professional.
- You should never let the ash buildup in the fireplace get over two inches high. You will need a fireplace shovel to remove the ashes from the fireplace and place them in a metal bucket. You should never use a plastic bucket, because the ashes can stay hot for days after your last fire.
- To remove soot and fire stains from the firebox, you will want to spray the area with soapy water and then scrub the firebox with a stiff brush.
- Only burn dry wood in your fireplace, because it will not create as much smoke and it burns more efficiently.
If you maintain your fireplace properly as you are using it, you will have fewer problems during the season. If you are unsure of how to do anything or do not know when you had your chimney inspected last, you will want to call a professional to give you a helping hand. Give us a call here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service at 610-626-2439 and we’ll schedule an appointment with one of our CSIA Certified chimney sweeps to ensure that your chimney is clean and in proper working order.