This is one area of a chimney sweep’s job that some homeowners are not too sure about. There are many conflicting views as to whether it is important to clean your dryer vent. Dirty dryer vents are one of the leading causes of house fires in the country. Dirty, blocked dryer vents can also lead to the build-up of mold and dust due to moisture content. We feel like that very fact is a good enough reason to call us at 610-626-2439 to schedule a dryer vent cleaning.
Some big benefits that you can derive from cleaning and maintaining dryer vents include:
- Improvement in the efficiency of dryer vents: This leads to a shorter drying time. This means improvement in the use of energy and a possible reduction in the electricity bill.
- Lengthening the lifespan of your dryer: As with other types of equipment, proper maintenance helps the dryer to last longer. So it you keep it in good shape you will not have to replace it too quickly.
- Fire safety and prevention: Dirty dryer vents are known to increase the risk of fires. It is also known that blocked vents can sometimes lead to carbon monoxide poisoning if you use gas dryers.
While it is true that lint traps capture some of the combustible lint that can collect in your dryer, it does not go far enough. The special equipment such as the vacuum used by our professionals will reach a lot further and do a much better job.
How Often Should You Clean dryer Vents?
It is recommended that dryer vents be cleaned a minimum of once per year. However for homes with lots of pets, especially dogs that shed a lot, cleaning the vent twice yearly may be necessary. While most lint and debris will be at the top of the vent, large blocks of lint may be in the middle of the vent and special equipment and know-how are necessary to reach in and remove it. After the first cleaning, we will be able to advise you as to the cleaning schedule that suits your needs.
Signs Your Vents Need Cleaning
- Some signs that may indicate that your dryer vents needs cleaning are:
- A burning smell when you are operating the dryer
- The laundry room is hot and has higher humidity than normal
- The dryer is hotter than it normally is when being used
- The clothes take longer to dry
Of course, when you are looking for a dryer vent cleaner, you need to make sure you hire the best company in your area. One reason for this is that we have the best equipment for the job as well as the required education and background. When you contract with us for dryer vent cleaning or any chimney work, you know you are getting experience and a professional staff. Call us at 610-626-2439 to discuss dryer vent issues and schedule a cleaning.