A chimney cap is one of the hardest working elements in, well on, your home. This item not only keeps rain and snow from falling down your chimney, it also keeps out sticks, dirt, other debris, and critters. When you install a chimney cap, you are ensuring that your chimney stays intact for a longer period of time without you needing to do unnecessary repairs.
Here are 6 tips that will assist you in choosing the best chimney cap for your home:
- If you have a square or rectangular flue, you will want to choose a single flue chimney cap or a top mounting chimney cap.
- Covering the entire crown of your chimney is an option and a top mount chimney cap can be attached with flanges to achieve this.
- Anyone who has two or more flues on the same chimney have a couple of different options. Option one includes placing a cap on each individual flue, while option two is placing a larger top mount chimney cap to cover them all.
- Some flues contain concentric pipes inside and for these, you will need to install a chimney cap that is especially for air cooled flues. These special chimney caps keep the air circulating, so that the system does not overheat.
- Do you ever have smoky backdrafts when you use your fireplace? If you do, there is a quick fix to that issue. A special chimney cap can be installed that will reduce all your backdraft problems.
- Chimney caps are made from multiple different materials, but we recommend that you choose one that offers a lifetime guarantee.
Chimney caps are made in multiple designs, so once you have decided on the type of cap you need and the material that you want, you can then choose the design that fits the style of your home. There is no reason why you cannot love the look of your chimney cap, even though it is made for much more than looks.
The chimney sweeps here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service are CSIA Certified and we have years of experience under our belts. We strive to continue our education as often as possible so we’re always in the position to offer you the best possible chimney services in Drexel Hill and all along the Main Line. Call us at 610-626-2439 to discuss your chimney needs or to schedule an appointment for a chimney cleaning, chimney inspection, or chimney repair.