5 Ways to Prevent or Reduce the Risk of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home



In case you are not sure exactly what carbon monoxide is, it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. It can be found just about anywhere, whether from fireplaces, stoves, furnaces, cars, grills, or other appliances. The only way a person can tell if they are being exposed to this gas is if they are alerted by a carbon monoxide detector.

Here are 5 ways to prevent or reduce the risk of carbon monoxide in your home:

Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector

These carbon monoxide detectors will let you know if there is any carbon monoxide inside your home. We recommend installing carbon monoxide detectors on each level of your home and outside of any bedrooms.

Run Generators Outside

If you ever lose power to your home and need to run a generator, you need to run it outside. If you run it in your basement, garage, crawl space, or shed, you will be allowing carbon monoxide to build up and that can be deadly.

Open a Window

If you use a supplemental heater at any time of the year, you will want to open a window when it is in use. This is really important if it happens to be a vent free heater or fireplace.

Warm Cars Up Outside

It might be really tempting to warm your car up inside your garage on a cold winter day, even with the garage door wide open, but that can lead to carbon monoxide build up inside your garage. Instead, we recommend pulling your car out into the driveway and letting it warm up out there.

Have Your Chimney Inspected

A blockage in your chimney or other damage could be causing your chimney to not be venting properly. Therefore, we recommend that you have it cleaned and inspected to ensure that everything is in working order.

If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, you need to leave your home immediately and call 911. This is not the time to stay in the house and try to figure out what is going on or what is causing the alarm to go off.

Here are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning that you need to look out for:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Sleepiness
  • Decreased coordination
  • Cognitive impairment
  • Vision problems

Without proper treatment or if you do not get out of your home in time, you can slip into a coma and die. These symptoms can come on quickly and get worse even faster. You may not have much time to react, which is why it is imperative that you pay attention to your carbon monoxide detector.

We recommend that you test your carbon monoxide detectors regularly, to ensure that they are working properly. You should also replace them every seven to ten years to meet safety standards.

Fireplace Safety and Chimney Inspections in Drexel Hill

We have two CSIA Certified chimney sweeps standing by to assist you with your chimney needs. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment for a chimney inspection or cleaning. We provide chimney services throughout the Main Line region.

Comments are closed.