The thought of a house fire can be scary, and every homeowner understands the importance of doing everything possible to prevent one. Unfortunately, it is a fact that dryer vents do not always get the attention they deserve. Lint that moves from the dryer in the heated air gets stuck in the vents. If this buildup is allowed to get too high, this increases the risk of a fire. Cleaning out the lint trap regularly is a good step, and this is recommended by technicians. However, this is not enough to keep using your dryer safely. Remember that much of the lint travels deep into the line, being deposited at various points. These deposits will attract more lint each time you dry clothes, so it is a problem that can worsen quickly. Signs of heavy lint accumulation include:
- Clothes come out of the dryer damp
- You need more than one cycle to get clothes dry
- The dryer feels very hot while it is in use
- The laundry room feels warmer than usual
- Clothes feel hotter than usual when they come out of the dryer
- Reducing the Risk of a Fire
The steps to keeping the dryer running efficiently are:
- Clear out the lint trap. Pull the screen out and use a small brush to clear out the lint.
- Clean the screen housing. The section where the lint screen sits will also contain lint. After removing the trap, use a vacuum or a brush to clear it out. Clean it out completely before putting back the trap.
- Deal with the vents. If you can remove some sections of the vents this will allow you to do a better job of cleaning out lint. If this is too challenging, call a professional to do it for you. Be careful removing ducts so that you don’t damage them.
- Use a duct brush. A duct brush will allow you to get into the line to get the lint out. You can also use the vacuum cleaner for a more thorough job.
If you notice any of the signs that your vents are blocked, call us for a professional evaluation. Our CDET certified technicians can check your vent system to see if it was properly designed and to make sure it is working as intended. Sometimes vent accumulation is sped up if there are too many bends in the system.
Chimney Services and Dryer Vent Cleaning in Merion
Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule your chimney cleaning, chimney inspection, dryer vent cleaning, or utility flue cleaning and inspection. We’ll schedule your appointment as quickly as possible and get you on the books. Call soon, because fall and winter appointments fill up fast!