For some home buyers, the fireplace is an important feature. It has an aesthetic function, but for most people it signifies warmth and comfort in the colder months. More than half of all homes in the US have one, so people should be aware of the possible dangers. With this knowledge, you will always be able to use your fireplace safely.
Inspect your entire chimney system at least once every year. Chimney sweeps will get rid of creosote, remove debris from the system, and ensure that your flue and damper can handle heat from the fireplace. Blockages in the system can cause harmful flue gases and smoke to enter the home.
- Use only properly dried wood or quality artificial logs in your fireplace. Do not use any other material such as coal just because it can be burned. This can push toxic gases into the home.
- Add a screen of glass door to keep sparks from traveling out of the fireplace and into the room. This reduces the risk of a fire, and it allows you to get closer for warmth.
- Use the damper correctly to maintain air quality in the home. Open it before you start a fire to ensure that smoke and gases travel upward, and do not close it until the fire is completely out.
- Teach children about fireplace safety, and keep them from getting to close to the fire. If you have pets you should keep them away from this area as well. Remember that while a glass door can keep the sparks in, it can also get very hot.
- Avoid using accelerants like gasoline or lighter fluid in your fireplace. The reaction can be explosive, and the fire may get too hot too quickly.
- Do not pile a lot of paper into the fireplace to get the fire going. This will produce a lot of smoke and it can cause the fire to get too high and ignite creosote.
- During the festive season, keep hanging decorations away from the fireplace. One errant spark can cause them to ignite, and the fire can spread before you realize what is happening.
Even if there has never been an issue with your fireplace, you should never take it for granted. Make fireplace safety a focus for the entire family.
Chimney Services in Haverford
Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule your chimney cleaning, chimney inspection, dryer vent cleaning, or utility flue cleaning and inspection. We’ll schedule your appointment as quickly as possible and get you on the books. Call soon, because fall and winter appointments fill up fast!