January is coming to an end and February is just around the corner. Valentine’s Day will be here before you know it. We currently have roughly three weeks to plan the perfect light dinner with wine and music on a nice bed of blankets and pillows in front of the fireplace. Call us soon for an appointment to make sure we can schedule a chimney inspection and cleaning before Valentine’s Day. Here are a few great fireplace and hearth ideas for Valentine’s Day in the meantime.
- Flowers – Flowers are a lovely way to show someone you care. You should probably make sure they aren’t allergic to any specific type of flower before you purchase your decorations. Silk flowers are a very pretty secondary choice if you’re worried about allergies or you simply want the decorations to last longer than a week. Make the flower display as colorful as possible without going over the top.
- Candles – Candlelight is a wonderful addition to the mantle if you don’t plan to use the fireplace, or you can set the mood using candles before the fireplace is lit. Color specific candles like white, red, or pink are great for Valentine’s Day.
- Decorations – Decorate the mantle with any variety of sweet or romantic decorations to help give the area around the fireplace a gentle, romantic feel.
- Gifts – Decorating the hearth and setting the mood for Valentine’s Day means you probably know your love pretty well. Give them gifts that really mean something to both of you. Don’t just stick with Valentine’s Day cliches because they’re easy and overly commercialized. Give gifts that will really win you some points this year.
- Wine – Not everyone enjoys wine, but if you and your love enjoy a glass, wrap a big red and white bow around it for added decoration. Tie a nice bow at the base of the wine glass for an added decorative touch.
- Picnic – Set the hearth area up like a romantic picnic complete with a blanket, pillows, and your favorite music. Cook, prepare, or purchase favorite foods and focus your attention on the things your love loves the most – besides you of course.
Make sure all decorations you use are at least three feet away from the fireplace when the fire is lit. Don’t take the chance on embers or sheer heat causing paper decorations to combust and ruin the night. Move all gift wrapping, decorations, flowers, and food at least three feet away from the hearth when you’re not going to be paying attention to the fire.
Call Lou Curley’s Chimney Service at 610-626-2439 if you’d like to schedule an appointment with one of our CSIA Certified Chimney Sweeps. We can inspect and clean your chimney, flue, and fireplace, but we can’t promise the rest of your Valentine’s night will go off without a hitch – that’s your department.