Have you ever been to a ghost town or the ancient city of Pompeii in Italy, where complete chimneys seem to be standing amongst the ruins of the rest of the buildings? It is enough to make a person to believe that chimneys can last forever without any problems. However, that is not the case. The heat from the continuous fires and the moisture from the cold and precipitation can damage even the best-constructed chimney.
Here are the Do’s when you spot a crack in your chimney:
- Call a certified chimney sweep to clean and inspect your chimney. They will be able to check out the crack that you see and let you know if you have any others as well.
- Have the crack and any other cracks repaired immediately.
- If the crack is in the chimney liner, you will need to have that repaired or replaced as well.
- Consider having your chimney waterproofed to prevent water from seeping into the bricks and masonry in the future.
Here are the Don’ts when you spot a crack in your chimney:
- You should never ignore a crack in your chimney. Cracks can get larger quickly and cause your chimney to collapse.
- Never light a fire when you know that you have a crack in your chimney. You could end up with a chimney fire or a complete house fire.
You should keep an eye on your chimney throughout the year, so that you can see damage before it gets too bad. We are not saying that you need to look at it every single day of the week, but once a month or so is a good idea. If you do that as well as have a professional come in to clean and inspect your chimney once a year, you will be well on your way to having a safe chimney every time you light a fire.
Of course, if you light a fire and something doesn’t seem right, put it out and call a professional immediately. It doesn’t matter if you just had your chimney cleaned. Something could have happened, and it is better to be safe than sorry.
Fireplace Safety and Chimney Inspections in Drexel Hill
We have two CSIA Certified chimney sweeps standing by to assist you with your chimney needs. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment for a chimney inspection or cleaning. We provide chimney services throughout the Main Line region.