Dryer vents can cause be a source of fires if they are not cleaned and maintained. Many people may clean the lint filter, but pay little or no attention to the vent itself. However, vent also needs to be cleaned so that the dryer will work properly. Thankfully there are some warning signs that will indicate that the vent needs to be cleaned.
Some telltale signs to look out for that will indicate that your dryer vent needs cleaning are:
- It is taking longer for your clothes to dry leaving clothes still dam after a regular cycle.
- The clothes are hot when you remove them from the dryer. This is an indication that the vent is no working properly. This can force it work harder which will cause it be wear out a lot faster.
- If there is excess lint on your clothing after a cycle, it is a sign that lint is building up in the vent.
- There is a burning smell coming from the dryer.
- The lint screen has no lint. This is a sure sign that something is not working as it should. Also, if the lint is on the wrong side of the lint screen it is obvious that lint is backing up into your dryer due to a blockage of the lint trap.
- There is more than normal amount of lint behind your dryer. When the dryer is working properly, the lint is removed to the outside through the venting system.
- The outside of your dryer is hot to the touch after a cycle.
- When you check the vent hose on the outside, you can see lint. There may be so much lint that the hood cannot close properly.
Other Reasons to Clean Your Dryer Vents
If you have pets that shed, it is important to make sure you regularly clean your dryer vent. Since you may also be washing pet bedding and towels, the buildup of lit and pet hair can cause clogs. If you have more than one pet, you should have the dryer vent cleaned more regularly.
Moldy smell or signs of molds can result from the combination of clogged vents and water from the dryer coming together to provide the perfect breeding ground for molds. Remember that molds not only give off bad odors, but also pose serious health risks.
Overheating resulting in a blockage of the dryer vent can cause the lint to ignite and cause a fire. So if you notice any of the above signs, and you have not cleaned your dryer vent in a while, it is time to get this done. While you can clean the vent yourself, it is always better to get a professional cleaning at least annually. Now that you know that your dryer vent needs periodic cleaning, you shouldn’t have any problem.
Lou Curley’s Chimney Service
We’re located in Drexel Hill and provide all types of chimney services to homeowners and commercial property owners in the surrounding areas and along the Main Line. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 if you’re interested in scheduling an appointment for a consultation, a chimney inspection, or chimney cleaning.