In home all across the country, chimneys develop problems due to infrequent cleaning. Some homeowners neglect this task for various reasons, increasing the risk of chimney fires. They can also end up with problems like foul odors, or even carbon monoxide leaking into the home. While cleaning is essential, it is the inspection that can save you headaches and the worry that your chimney could be unsafe.
- The cap and crown. A chimney professional will check the chimney cap for defects that could cause debris to enter. This could lead to a blockage or an unpleasant smell if a rodent dies inside. Cracks can allow water to enter, which can also cause bad smells in the home.
- Flue inspection. The flue plays an important part in the way the chimney functions. If it doesn’t close properly the home can become smoky when you light a fire. There should be no rust or warping, and you should have no trouble opening or closing it.
- Mortar damage. This is not something that you should ignore, especially with another winter nearing. Chimney technicians always look for cracks or spalling so you can avoid structural issues. If water gets into spaces then freezes, sever damage can occur.
- Creosote buildup. This can smell bad when it’s wet, but even worse, it can cause fires. It builds up every time you use the fireplace, so you should have annual inspections before winter to keep it under control. A chimney sweep will remove the creosote so you can use the chimney without worry.
- Checking the chimney flashing. The flashing seals the area where the chimney is connected to the roof. Any gaps can cause water to enter the home leading to rot, mold and structural damage.
- A home purchase. If you buy a home, or you are planning to, a chimney inspection should be on the checklist. You need to be sure that the chimney and its components are sound before you start using them.
Neglecting chimney inspections can put you and your home at risk. This is more than a basic maintenance task; it is essential to your family’s comfort and safety in the winter season. If you have not had this done in a while, now is the time to call a professional for a thorough inspection of the system. Give us a call here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service at 610-626-2439 and we’ll schedule an appointment with one of our CSIA Certified chimney sweeps to ensure that your chimney is clean and in proper working order.