Having a clean chimney has many benefits for you and your household. Most experts will advise you that it is very important to have your chimney inspected and cleaned as a regular part of your home maintenance. However, while you know this, you may not know all the benefits to be derived from a clean chimney.
- Keeping your chimney clean is a sure way to lengthen the life of this important feature of your home. For one, problems will be detected early before they become a big deal. The earlier potential problems are identified, the quicker they can be taken care and the less any repairs will cost.
- Keep out poisonous gas and fumes: If a chimney is not working properly, dangerous carbon monoxide gas can escape, and when inhaled can lead to death. Each year there are quite a few deaths attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Less likelihood of dangerous creosote build-up that can cause fires. Creosote is an unavoidable product of wood burning in a chimney. A thorough manual cleaning of your chimney is necessary to get rid of creosote. Getting rid of creosote means that dangerous carbon monoxide can safely exit the furnace.
- There will be no smoke or other odors in the house, which can get into clothing and furniture. In addition, if the chimney is not cleaned properly or regularly, soot will build up around the flue. Since this cannot escape as it should, this black dust will instead settle in the fireplace and will get onto your floor, furniture, curtains and even clothing.
- Helping to keep energy costs low. If your chimney is clean it will operate more efficiently. This will add up to lower energy costs as you will be able to use your heating system less.
You should have at least a once yearly inspection and maintenance of your chimney, even if you don’t use it a lot. If you notice any telltale signs such as soot, more than a whiff of smoke, or poor heating, do not hesitate to call us to check out the structure.
Since dirty chimneys are unhealthy and unsafe, it is worth your while to ensure that your chimney and fireplace are always in top condition. To make sure you and your household enjoy all the benefits of a clean chimney, schedule a chimney sweeping.
We perform all types of chimney inspections, cleanings, and minor repairs here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service. Our Chimney Sweeps are CSIA Certified and participate in continued education programs throughout the year. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to discuss any chimney problems you may be experiencing or to schedule an appointment for a consultation, inspection, or cleaning.