When it starts to get hot and humid and the central air comes on, I get calls every year about a “campfire smell” coming from the fireplace. There are several things that could cause this, but some things to definitely do are:

  • Get your chimney swept
  • Make sure your damper closes 100%…
  • …If not, replace it with a top-mounted damper
  • Try a “Chimney Balloon”
  • Use deodorants or candles

Even if you decide to mask the smell, get your chimney swept prior to use in the Fall. The smell could be from excessive creosote – which is flammable and could potentially cause a chimney fire.