There is so much to remember when it comes to taking care of your home and it can be difficult to keep it all straight. For this reason, we have come up with a checklist for you to use that will assist you with making sure that your chimney and fireplace are ready for winter.
Here are 6 things that you will need to do in order to make sure that your chimney and fireplace are ready for winter:
- The first thing that you should do before the heating season begins is have your chimney and fireplace inspected and cleaned. A professional will be able to clean out the creosote from your chimney and inspect everything for any damage.
- It is important that the flue lining is closely inspected every year, because a small crack can cause a massive chimney fire.
- If a professional tells you that there is damage to the chimney from water, you will want to have that repaired immediately. Any water that gets into the cracks can freeze and thaw many times and each time the cracks will get larger. These cracks can cause the chimney to collapse without warning.
- The best type of chimney cap is one that is enclosed with wire, because it will keep out the elements as well as small animals looking for heat. The wire guards will also keep flying embers from going onto the roof and starting a fire. If you do not have this type of chimney cap, check with a professional to see if you should replace yours.
- Using proper firewood is also important and the type of firewood that you use will determine how much creosote will build up inside your chimney. Make sure that any firewood that you use is dry and have it stacked and ready in an easily accessible place.
- You will always want to close the spark guard or glass doors when you have a fire going, so that embers do not get into the room and start a fire.
You will be able to have numerous fires this winter season as long as you take the time to prepare your chimney and fireplace ahead of time. Safety is a top priority and you will not want to start a fire in your fireplace if you are not sure that it is going to work properly.
The chimney sweeps here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service are well-trained and highly certified. Call us at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment with a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep in Drexel Hill or the surrounding areas. We will help ensure that your chimney is ready to face the quickly-approaching winter season without issue.