Here’s some tips to keep in mind when decorating for Christmas:
- Take the stockings and anything else that hangs in front of the fireplace opening off of the mantle before you have a fire
- Keep the tree 3′ from the fireplace opening
- Keep the presents 3′ away from the fireplace opening
- Use a spark screen when having a fire
- Don’t put a plastic Santa Claus, or anything else, on top of your chimney
Also, keep fire safety in mind after Christmas and don’t burn your tree, wreath, or wrapping paper.