Colder temperatures are approaching and you will want to make sure that your chimney is in excellent working order before you have to use it during the winter months. A little preventative maintenance will mean that you will not have to worry about damage to your house once you start your first fire for the season.
Here are 5 common masonry chimney repairs to consider before winter:
- It is important to repair any cracks in the bricks, mortar, concrete or stone parts of your chimney, because those cracks can expand from water over time and the material can deteriorate even more. If the water inside the cracks freezes and thaws too many times, your chimney could collapse onto your house without warning.
- If water is getting to the inside of your chimney, you will want to have the chimney cap replaced. A full coverage chimney cap is your best option, because it will keep the elements out as well as birds, squirrels and other little critters that might be looking for a warm place to stay.
- A damaged chimney crown will allow water to drain off of the roof and directly towards the edges of the chimney and the flue. Having the chimney crown repaired will save you thousands of dollars from damage in the future.
- In order to prevent water from seeping into the bricks and mortar, you may want to consider having your chimney waterproofed. This can help prevent water damage and is helpful in areas with a lot of precipitation.
- You will want to make sure that your damper is working properly in your chimney. The damper should fully open and close, so that smoke can be pulled out when there is a fire going and no cold air can leak in when it is closed. If the damper is not working properly, your house could fill up with smoke and you will have black soot all over your house.
You should be able to check your chimney to see if there is any major damage yourself, however one of our CSIA Certified chimney sweeps will be able to spot any smaller areas much easier. We will be able to tell you if your chimney is safe to use and what your best options are for keeping it in working order for a long time.
The chimney sweeps here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service are well-trained and highly certified. Call us at 610-626-2439 to schedule an appointment with a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep in Drexel Hill or the surrounding areas. We will help ensure that your chimney is ready to face the quickly-approaching winter season without issue.