Anything in the home that deals with heat on a regular basis will begin to deteriorate at some point. The chimney and dryer vents are two such examples. While dryer vent repairs are less technical, they are no less important. An understanding of what it takes to keep them functioning will help you to get more from your dryer, and know when to make a service call.
Signs of Poor Dryer Function
Awareness of the signs of a poorly working dryer can help you to protect your equipment, giving it a longer lifespan. Some signs that your dryer may need some work are:
- The laundry room getting really hot when it is being used
- The dryer stopping constantly during the drying cycle
- Having to run the dryer more than once for a single load
- The dryer getting really hot to the touch when it is working
- You don’t see any lint in the screen
- The clothes have a strange smell after you remove them from the dryer
Types of Dryer Vent Repairs
If you call a professional, your dryer problems can be resolved quickly. The amount of work the vent system needs will depend on a number of factors. The most important ones are its age, how well it was designed, and the material it is made of. Some older vents are made from plastic, which can corrode easily under certain conditions. Repairs may take the form of:
- Reattaching ducts that have loosened from the ceiling or walls.
- Sealing leaks in the ducts. Usually, duct tape can cover a split area, but if the damage is bad enough, that section of the duct will need to be replaced.
- Cleaning vent ducts. If the dryer starts to underperform, this means that there is too much lint in the system. It is possible to vacuum out the ducts yourself with reasonable results, but you should call a technician to deal with heavy lint buildup.
- Reworking the design and installation of duct will be necessary in cases where flawed work prevents proper venting of heated air.
Dryer vent ducts often suffer compression damage and other issues that can affect the dryer and pose a fire hazard. When more than a simple duct tape job is needed, talk to a chimney professional about your options.
Give us a call at 610-626-2439 if Lou Curley’s Chimney Service can assist you with your chimney and dryer vent cleaning needs this year. Make sure to schedule your post-winter chimney inspection and cleaning by spring so we can get you on the schedule. Don’t wait until the end of summer, because that’s when our rush starts. Plan early and get it over with early.