You might be aware that you should have your chimney cleaned every year or so, especially if you use your fireplace quite often. However, did you also know that you should choose a chimney sweep that is certified? We aren’t saying that a chimney sweep without certifications can’t do the job, but how can you be sure? Where did this person receive his or her training?
Here are 6 reasons why you should hire a certified chimney sweep:
- Certified chimney sweeps have learned about multiple chimney and venting safety practices and techniques. This means that they will notice any small venting problems with your chimney. Small problems can turn into big problems quickly, which is why it is better when they are found when they are small.
- All certified chimney sweeps will comply with building codes and product installation instructions. They will not just install something and say that it looks right, so it must be fine. They will not leave until they have finished the job properly.
- Certified chimney sweeps can inform you of many different chimney and safety procedures. They will be able to answer any questions that you may have about your chimney and whether or not it is safe.
- Certified chimney sweeps continuously attend trainings to update their skills and knowledge so that they can keep you up to date with newer techniques and safety features.
- Every certified chimney sweep will have the proper tools including cameras, brushes, rods, ladders and vacuums. They will never take any shortcuts when it comes to cleaning your chimney.
- After the chimney is cleaned, the certified chimney sweep will actually perform an inspection of the chimney to make sure that there are not any safety issues. They cannot look for these issues as they are cleaning the chimney because of all of the creosote buildup. While this may take more time, it is actually a good reason as to why you should hire a certified chimney sweep.
You never want to take a shortcut when having your chimney cleaned. Take your time as you are looking for a chimney sweep and hire one who is certified to perform the job.
We perform all types of chimney inspections, cleanings, and minor repairs here at Lou Curley’s Chimney Service. Our Chimney Sweeps are CSIA Certified and participate in continued education programs throughout the year. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to discuss any chimney problems you may be experiencing or to schedule an appointment for a consultation, inspection, or cleaning.