While a chimney can make you more comfortable during the winter season, it needs maintenance to keep doing its job. The winter and rainy seasons take a toll on the structure, and this is not noticed until the warm summer months arrive. The warmer period can pose its own problems for the chimney that you should be aware of so you can take the appropriate action.
- High humidity levels. Too much humidity can increase the level of moisture in the chimney. If this reaches the flue the resulting rust can prevent it from working properly. This will affect the draft in the home and lead to heat loss.
- Insect infestation. Insects love to find warm spaces to nest, and in the summer the chimney can be the ideal spot. This can be especially problematic if they make their way inside the home.
- Wind damage. A chimney is strong, but some sections can easily be damaged by heavy wind. The flashing and the cap are the most susceptible, so it is important to check them after a storm.
- Chimney odors. Many people notice a strong odor coming from the chimney in the summer. This comes from wet creosote, and it is worse in neglected chimneys.
- When water gets into the chimney mortar and freezes, the thawing process removes bits of the mortar when the weather gets warmer.
Beating Chimney Problems
You can do your chimney a favor in the summer by doing the following:
- Replace the chimney cap or install one if your chimney has none. Make sure it is the correct size for the chimney. Ask one of our technicians for advice if you are unsure.
- Have a sweep clean the chimney to get rid of creosote to get rid of chimney odors.
- Repair worn or damaged chimney flashing.
- Carry out repairs to mortar by sealing cracks.
- Use a sealant to protect the chimney from moisture intrusion.
- If necessary, replace the chimney flue to prevent heat loss.
Naturally, the best way to stay on top of potential summer chimney problems is to schedule an early sweeping and inspection appointment. Chimney sweeps know exactly which problems to look for, and will advise you on the best course of action. Don’t allow the summer heat and humidity to create problems for your chimney when the solution is just a phone call away.
Our chimney services extend well beyond Drexel Hill and into most townships, towns, and cities along the Main Line. Call us at 610-626-2439 to schedule a consultation, chimney inspection, chimney cleaning, or dryer vent cleaning.