Most people enjoy cozying up by the fireplace in winter, but when the warm weather rolls they stop thinking about the fireplace, or the chimney for that matter. But a clean chimney is also a safe one, just ask the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). It’s important to have your chimney cleaned immediately after winter to get rid of creosote and prevent chimney odors throughout the summer. If you’re still not convinced, we’re going to take a look at five great reasons why cleaning your chimney after winter is essential.
Cleaning your chimney after winter will:
- Prevent a Fire: Creosote is a byproduct of smoke that’s generated by the chimney fire, and it very often coats the chimney walls. If the creosote gets too thick, it can pose a serious fire hazard. Chimney fires burn with extreme heat and often remain contained within the chimney. This does not mean they are safe. The extreme heat can cause nearby combustibles, like the support beams for your roof, to catch fire and lead to a house fire.
- Safeguard Your Health: The fireplace can trap dangerous carbon monoxide in the chimney. The carbon monoxide can easily seep back into the house, and inhaling it can prove fatal. Mold may also begin to grow in the chimney if it collects moisture that isn’t regularly cleaned out.
- Prevent Odors: If there is moisture in the chimney and deposits in the liner, it can result in a sour odor being released into the interior of your home. This odor will only get worse during the spring and summer months.
- Prevent Smoke Damage: Soot and Creosote can build-up in the chimney and make it difficult for the flue to pull the smoke upward. This will cause the smoke to creep into the rooms in your home.
- Give You an Early Start for Next Winter: There is always a long wait to get your chimney serviced in the fall. Choosing to do it after winter will ensure that you beat the fall and winter rush, and it will probably be cheaper as well.
The NFPA recommends that you have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually, in order to ensure safety. This should be done by a reputable chimney sweep company. Now that you know the facts, don’t wait. Give us a call at 610-626-2439 to get your chimney cleaned now.